Re: usb_nop_xceiv_register() missing when OTG built as modules

On Fri, 05 Mar 2010 09:59:52 -0800, Kevin Hilman
> It would be my fault if I wrote those board files.  ;)

sure, sorry. Maybe I didn't express myself really well.

>> I suggest you keep usb as a module, but keep nop xceiv built-in.
>
> Yes, that's the workaround I'm already using, but it is not a fix.
>
> This dependency breaks the ability to build a minimal kernel with
> everything as modules (allmodconfig)

now this is a really good point. Haven't thought that way...

> The nop xceiv needs a way for built-in code to register itself for
> the cases when no xceiv is built as a module.

when way to do that is not to use usb_nop_xceiv_register() and
add the platform_device to the board-files. I never really liked
the whole usb_nop_xceiv_register() hackery. Almost all board-files
have a list of platform_devices which get added by platform_add_devices()
anyways, so why not using that ??

to me the usb_nop_xceiv_register() thing is just a lazy way of
defining platform_devices. Specially one that takes some 3
lines of code only.

--
balbi