From: linux-omap-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:linux-omap-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Kevin Hilman
Sent: 26 January 2010 22:41
To: Andrew Murray
Cc: Nishanth Menon; linux-omap@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: PM: VDD2 OPPs

"Andrew Murray" <amurray@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

[...]

> I've noticed that other than using the debugfs there is no way for a
> user to configure sleep_when_idle, enable_off_mode,
> voltage_off_when_idle. Do you think it would be worthwhile to add
> these options to the KConfigs? I'd be happy to make these
> modifications if so.  :)

Hi Andrew,

I'm curious what benefit you to having them as compile-time options
instead of run-time?

In general, these options are all under debugfs for debug during PM
development, but they should not be considered as PM knobs for a
production system.

For a production system, the assumption is that the kernel is *always*
trying to sleep-while-idle and enter off-mode.  Preventing low-power
states is intended to be directed by drivers using constraints
(latency, throughput, etc.)  When using constraints, the deeper sleep
states are prevented while the constraints are in place and then
(re)allowed after the constraints are removed.

Kevin

> Many Thanks,
>
> Andrew Murray

OPP
>> via cpufreq seems to be the only way to adjust the VDD2 OPP from
>> user-land - is this correct?
> The old /sys/power/vdd2_[opp|lock] was deprecated out. currently the
> control is for vdd1 OPP using cpufreq and indirect dependency for
VDD2,
> is there a need for direct control of VDD2 freq?
> --
> Regards,
> Nishanth Menon
>
> Ref:
> [1]

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/khilman/linux-omap-pm.git;a=bl

ob;f=arch/arm/mach-omap2/cpufreq34xx.c;h=07873e87ffc0fef97b4554efc3f17dc
> 696cb25e3;hb=4f54a09e0ed9b2ee8e1adfe1716297792310d1c6#l46

01/25/10
> 19:36:00
> --
19:36:00