Re: patch: add omap730 / omap850 rtc support

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 9:11 AM, G, Manjunath Kondaiah <manjugk@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Any advantage of using both enum and register offsets?
> You can have only register offset macros instead of enum.

This was the appproach proposed by Tony in response to Alistair's
original query. Tony originally cited something from Russel for the
reason.

http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-omap@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg14918.html

If static #define's were used, then it would probably be impossible to
support multiple omap1 cpu's with the same binary driver / binary
kernel. Having a run-time cpu check (referencing static offset arrays)
makes this possible and in the worst case scenario, it adds ~20 bytes.
I guess if you really wanted to save those 20 bytes, then you could
check #ifdef OMAP1_MULTI or something like that.

> Why 50? Count can be decreased from 50 to 30/35 which will increase rtc performance.

No idea, I didn't write the driver, I just patched it, and that is
completely irrelevent to my patch, but feel free to test 30/35 and
submit the changes back :)