Re: [ANNOUNCE] updated PM branch, based on 2.6.32-rc1

Kevin Hilman <khilman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Kevin Hilman <khilman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> Juha Kuikka <juha.kuikka@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

>>> Hi,
>>
>> Hi Juha,
>>
>>> I build and tried this latest on Beagleboard (C2). Booting from MMC
>>> using ramdisk image. I changed the LL console to the 3rd UART.
>>>
>>> The issue I have is that after the system boots up it works for as
>>> long as I keep actively using it but if I leave it idle for a short
>>> time (~5s) it stops responding. I have tried waking it up using both
>>> UART and "USER" button on the board. This is with the default PM
>>> configuration.
>>
>> Thanks for testing, and reporting your problem.  I have noticed
>> exactly the same problem and am still investigating it.
>>
>>> If I put the board into suspend (retention) it wakes up without any issues.
>>>
>>> Also, if I enable "/debug/pm_debug/sleep_while_idle" board wakes up
>>> without issues. Well the first couple characers on the console seem to
>>> go missing but I guess without CTS/RTS that is expected?
>>
>> Yes, the loss of the first character is expected.
>>
>>> Any pointers would be appreciated.
>>
>> I also noticed that it works when 'sleep_while_idle' is enabled, and
>> this has led me to suspect a bug in that serial timout path, but I
>> have yet to debug further.
>
> FYI...
>
> I haven't figured out exactly why yet, but this patch gets things
> working again.
>
> Basically, I'm just leaving smart-idle disabled all the time.

I've discovered that this is only needed when using the older u-boot
binary I was downloading from beagleboard.org.  I've had lots of PM
headaches when using this u-boot and I had forgotten that I had
(re)flashed with it.

If I build and use a u-boot from the u-boot-ti repo[1], I don't have
this problem anymore.

I don't really have the time or motiviation to debug that older u-boot,
so my recommendation is to use the latest one from the TI repo below.

Thanks,

Kevin

[1] git://git.denx.de/u-boot-ti.git