Re: Patch format for submission?

Hi!

On Friday 21 August 2009 16:34:33 Peter Barada wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-08-21 at 15:10 +0200, Kevin Hilman wrote:
> > Tim Bird <tim.bird@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> > > Also, Andrew Morton wrote a paper called "The Perfect Patch"
> > > with a nice checklist of attributes.
> > >
> > > http://userweb.kernel.org/~akpm/stuff/tpp.txt
> >
> > In addition to above suggestions, I highly recommend using git tools
> > which automate many of these recommended steps.
> >
> > Usin 'git format-patch' and then 'git send-email' will get you a long
> > ways.
>
> Kevin,
>
> Most of my work is done with LTIB/svn.  Is there a good starter document
> for git on how to have a local tree, local changes, and keep it up to
> date with a remote tree?  I've waded through some of git's
> documentation, but its bit daunting bending my brain around git after
> many years of SVN/CVS.
You can start with the Git tutorial [1] and Everyday Git [2]. The entry point
for git documentation is at [3].

[1] http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/gittutorial.html
[2] http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/everyday.html
[3] http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git.html

> 1) If I use "git fetch" to create a local copy, how do I check in
> changes to my tree (that stay local), then update my tree to changes
> you've made?  I assume this is where rebasing comes in, but I'm unclear
> on the process - I've littered my machine with multiple busted git trees
> trying to track yours and Tony's trees/branches/tags.  Any quick
> examples are highly appreciated.
You use 'git fetch', 'git pull' and 'git rebase' commands for that, cf. [1]
and [2].

> 2) Are there tools to take an SVN tree and "import" it into a git tree
> (or do I have to do that by hand, patching my git tree foreach SVN
> revision I have)?

Regards,
Jean