Re: Patch format for submission?

On Fri, 2009-08-21 at 15:10 +0200, Kevin Hilman wrote:
> Tim Bird <tim.bird@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > Paul Walmsley wrote:
> >> Hi Peter,

> >> Documentation/SubmittingPatches and Documentation/CodingStyle are pretty
> >> good intros to this.
> >>
> > Also, Andrew Morton wrote a paper called "The Perfect Patch"
> > with a nice checklist of attributes.
> >
> > http://userweb.kernel.org/~akpm/stuff/tpp.txt
> >

> In addition to above suggestions, I highly recommend using git tools
> which automate many of these recommended steps.
>
> Usin 'git format-patch' and then 'git send-email' will get you a long
> ways.

Kevin,

Most of my work is done with LTIB/svn.  Is there a good starter document
for git on how to have a local tree, local changes, and keep it up to
date with a remote tree?  I've waded through some of git's
documentation, but its bit daunting bending my brain around git after
many years of SVN/CVS.

1) If I use "git fetch" to create a local copy, how do I check in
changes to my tree (that stay local), then update my tree to changes
you've made?  I assume this is where rebasing comes in, but I'm unclear
on the process - I've littered my machine with multiple busted git trees
trying to track yours and Tony's trees/branches/tags.  Any quick
examples are highly appreciated.

2) Are there tools to take an SVN tree and "import" it into a git tree
(or do I have to do that by hand, patching my git tree foreach SVN
revision I have)?

--
Peter Barada <peterb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Logic Product Development, Inc.