Re: possible deprecation and removal of some old QEMU Arm machine types (pxa2xx, omap, sa1110)

On Tue, Feb 13, 2024, at 22:21, Linus Walleij wrote:

> The Collie is popular because it is/was easy to get hold of and
> easy to hack. PXA was in candybar phones (right?) which
> are just veritable fortresses and really hard to hack so that is why
> there is no interest (except for the occasional hyperfocused Harald
> Welte), so those are a bit like the iPhones: you *can* boot something
> custom on them, but it won't be easy or quick, and not as fun and
> rewarding.

The PXA machines that we support in kernel and qemu are either
industrial/embedded machines or upgraded versions of the SA1100
PDAs (sharpsl), not phones.

OTOH, these chips came out between 2003 and 2007 so I can
also see how people at the time had already moved away from
using pure PDAs to Symbian or Blackberry phones, so there
might just be fewer PDAs that got sold with PXA than with
SA1100 before there were smartphones.

      Arnd