Re: Lay common foundation to make PVR/SGX work without hacks on OMAP34xx, OMAP36xx, AM335x and potentially OMAP4, OMAP5

3. Your reverse engineering project that might help
   with figuring out how things are supposed to work

IMHO a completely separate project.

Basically there is a strict layering:

L4	user-space libraries
L3	SGX firmware
L2	SGX firmware loader
L1	SoC glue (clock, reset, dma, virtual memory, ...)

I am mainly considering L1 here and fixing L2. L1 is SoC
specific of course and L2 needs Linux-release specific patches.

L2-L4 depend on SGX version.

L2 contains a lot of #ifdef that depend on SGX530/540/544 and even
more.

Reverse engineering addresses L3 and L4.

Of course if will be is successful it might become possible to improve
the whole L1-L4 stack, but that is another 10 years in the future :)

Since it is such a big task, I would propose to start with something
close to working (some TI/IMG DDK) and improve on that instead of
starting with parts from scratch.

I just can agree on that . For good reverse engineering we need also a working reference system where we also can dump misc stuff, like it is done with lima.

BR,
Nikolaus