Re: OMAP3/4/5 ABB Regulator driver question (invalid value on omap36xx)

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 6:44 AM Adam Ford <aford173@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am running some experiments on the DM3730 trying to read the
> abb_mpu_iva regulator voltage. The min and max voltage readings of
> abb_mpu_iva seem to match the table from the device tree for the
> omap36xx, however when I read the microvolts, it returns and invalid
> number.

Adding in Viresh Kumar...

> # cat min_microvolts
> 1012500
> # cat max_microvolts
> 1375000
> # cat microvolts
> -22
>
> While booting the omap3 also returns are messages:
> [    3.105560] omap2_set_init_voltage: unable to find boot up OPP for
> vdd_mpu_iva
> [    3.113037] omap2_set_init_voltage: unable to set vdd_mpu_iva
>
> I don't know if their related.
>
> I am trying to push the DM3730 to OPP1G which means enabling the ABB.
> According to the device tree and the TRM, this register should be
> 483072f0 and when I read this register with the DM3730 pushed to 1000
> MHz, the returned value is 0x00, meaning ABB is still off.
>
> Since the twl4030 PMIC is sourcing the power to the processor from
> I am associating the cpu supply to to vcc with  cpu0-supply = <&vcc>;
>
> I have modified the operating table for 1000MHz, and from what I can
> tell the vcc is the correct operating voltage when operating at 1GHz,
> but it looks like we somehow need to associate the abb_mpu_iva
> regulator it properly sets up the operating points so ABB is enabled.
>
> I looked through how other boards do this.  The dra7 references the
> abb regulator by vbb-supply = <&abb_mpu> but I am not seeing anything
> like that for omap3/4/5.
>
> So I have two questions:
>
> How does the abb driver know what the current state of the processor
> is so can set the values properly?
>
> Does it seem reasonable that other processors should have a vbb-supply
> reference to use the ti-abb-regulator driver to keep it in sync with
> the operating voltage and frequency of the processor?

It appears as if there is a newer way to define the operating points
using "operating-points-v2"

If we were to migrate the omap3630 to this, would it be able to
associate the abb_mpu_iva in addition the the existing regulator to
get it to switch on the ABB and correctly identify the operating
voltage of abb_mpu_iva?

adam