Re: AM5728 register write for global warm reset doesn't return immediately

On 07/26/2017 06:33 PM, Mohammed Billoo wrote:
Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the proper place to ask questions, but I
thought I'd give it a shot. I've been having an issue when running a
4.1.13 kernel on an AM5728 where reboot takes ~4 minutes. I've
narrowed it down to the register write in
omap4_prminst_global_warm_sw_reset, which doesn't return immediately
(it takes approximately ~4 minutes). Can anyone point me in the right

I assume you mean it does'nt reboot immediately. the function should'nt return to caller. if it does, something weird really is going on, and I suggest e2e.ti.com to report this.

direction as to why I'm observing this behavior? Initially, I thought
it was due to an unaligned register access, but it doesn't seem to be
the case as the virtual address is on a word boundary.

Ideally as per errata on the SoC (and depending on rev), the board should be converting the warm reset to cold reset. ignoring that flag,
reboot duration does sound pretty weird.

http://www.ti.com/lit/pdf/spruhz6
Table 33-9 (page 7826 in rev I of TRM) gives a boot device order. One thing that has always tripped most of us folks is the significance of "bold" in the TRM table. Quote: "If no valid software booting configuration is found after a warm reset, the ROM code builds a device list featuring only the permanent booting devices (in bold)"

For example: 0b0101 configuration in peripheral boot device will attempt only XIP in warm reset (even though cold boot will attempt SD first).

In the last few years I have worked on this device, I have'nt heard of a scenario as you describe, but it might be a combination of multiple issues (including possibly board issues). you might get more details if you ask on the TI forum (e2e.ti.com) and might get some specific h/w experts to help debug this better than I can.

--
Regards,
Nishanth Menon