Re: [RFC] Switching 8250_omap to use 8250_dma RX and TX flow

On 2016-09-20 12:57:54 [+0300], Peter Ujfalusi wrote:
> I did not really checked the OMAP UART DMA support patches from the IP point
> of view, but now that it is back again - for some reason it caused all sort of
> issues so far in many levels - I have taken a peek into the driver and the
> datasheets.
>
> The question it brought up for me is:
> - Why the RX FIFO threshold set to 48? 42 would be better?

The FIFO depth is 64. So I went for a transfer after 3/4 of the FIFO is
full. I don't know how 42 is computed.

> - Why TX FIFO threshold is set to 1? Why not 48 (or 42)?

So you can DMA an arbitrarily number of bytes. Otherwise you would be
forced to program a multiple of 48 (or 42) and push the remaining bytes
manually.

> - according to the documentation, the UART_IER register's bits are different
> in different modes, in DMA mode the UART_IER_MSI, UART_IER_RLSI, UART_IER_RDI,
> etc are not applicable when the FIFO is enabled. If I read it right.

I would have to look those up.

> I got the impression from the documentation that it is best to use RX FIFO
> threshold 1 so we receive all bytes into the memory one-by-one.
> Or I think we could use higher threshold and we need to respond to drain the
> FIFO with CPU by responding to EOF interrupt (enabled by bit 7 in IER register
> when the FIFO is enabled)

How is threshold 1 applicable? Wouldn't you get an interrupt after each
byte?

> >> if that is what it has been configured. But AFAIK we use bursts from
> >> UART, so we configure that the FIFO should have 40(?) bytes and only then the
> >> DMA request should be asserted. DMA will read the 40(?) bytes out, so again it
> >> does not matter if we had 1 byte in the FIFO when the DMA started.
> >
> > In general: burst size 48, program transfer with 16 bytes in the FIFO. The
> > transfer should start (DMA asserted by the UART) once the remaining 32
> > bytes have arrived.
>
> I have hard time to follow this...
> The IP's threshold and the DMA burst size must be configured in sync. If you
> say in the IP to generate the DMA request when the FIFO have 48 bytes, then
> you need to program the DMA to read 48 bytes.
correct.

> If you set the UART FIFO
> threshold to 16 bytes, then you need to configure the DMA burst size to 16
> bytes as well:
> "This request (RX DMA request) is deasserted when the number of bytes defined
> by the threshold level is read by the device DMA controllers."

I intended to follow this :)

> > Before having the 48 bytes as burst I had 1 byte. At this point the DMA
> > engine transferred one byte at a time but something else was not perfect
> > so I went for 48.
>
> Hrm, my bet would be that Enabled FIFO + 1 byte threshold should be the safest
> and working mode for UART.
>
> > Nobody at TI could answer my question why the RX-DMA is not triggered by
> > the UART if the RX transfer was not programmed prio the reception. I
> > received even bare metal code where, according to the code, the RX
> > transfer was programmed _after_ the first byte has been received. I
> > tried to run this in Linux (as I was not able to run this bare metal)
> > and I could not confirm that this works.
>
> I'm not sure if I get this right, but are you saying that if you program UART
> first, enable UART RX then enable the DMA it will not work at all?
- program the UART (baud rate, etc)
- send from the remote side 48 bytes (just 48). The data will stay in
  UART's FIFO
- UART will generate RX interrupt will
- program DMA engine to transfer 48 bytes (at this point the UART has
  probably 4 byte in its FIFO while the remaining data is still dropping
  in).
- UART will continue generate RX interrupts
- UART will generate a TIMEOUT interrupt

the mode that is currently used:

- program the UART (baud rate, etc)
- program DMA engine to transfer 48 bytes.
- send from the remote side 48 bytes (just 48)
- DMA engine will transfer 48 bytes once 48 bytes are UART's FIFO and
  generate a transfer-complete interrupts
- UART will generate an interrupt. The interrupt-status register will
  read "nothing" because it was a RX interrupt which was cleared by the
  DMA engine (usually you won't notice this but at 2Mbaud you will
  likely see "nobody cared" and the core will disable the UART
  interrupt).

> That is really strange indeed. One thing might be that you quickly overrun in
> UART and that causes things to fail?

no overrun. I used [0] so send stuff in simplex / duplex mode or just a
specific amount of data.

> But as I have said: I'm not an expert on the UART side, I don't even know how
> to properly test the UART DMA,a nd to be honest I do keep it disabled most of
> the time as it interfere with my DMA driver work.
> I was planning to propose to have a way to disable the UART DMA for console
> UARTs as there is no real point of having DMA for that.

By the time I worked on it I had it enabled on my am335x and dra7. I had
the test tool [0] the check for large transfers. For console uarts it
makes no sense since you usually get like 2 characters a second. On RX
side what happens here is _usually_ a timeout interrupt and the FIFO is
drained in PIO mode. This is something you *don't* notice. On the TX
side you get larger transfers for instance during "dmesg" output.

[0] https://git.breakpoint.cc/cgit/bigeasy/serialcheck.git/

Sebastian