Re: [RFC] Switching 8250_omap to use 8250_dma RX and TX flow

On 09/15/16 19:15, Sebastian Andrzej Siewior wrote:
> On 2016-09-15 16:32:18 [+0200], To Peter Ujfalusi wrote:
>> Before having the 48 bytes as burst I had 1 byte. At this point the DMA
>> engine transferred one byte at a time but something else was not perfect
>> so I went for 48.
>
> after transferring 30 out of 48 bytes (burst 1, size 48) there was
> nothing: no interrupt nothing. So it waited for another 18 bytes to
> happen.

You need to program the DMA to read/write FIFO threshold number of bytes.

In RX the DMA request will be asserted when the FIFO has threshold amount of
data and you need to read threshold amount out.

In TX the request will be asserted if you have threshold amount of _free_
space in the FIFO and you need to transfer threshold amount of data in response.

But if there is a bug in the UART that it de-asserts the RX DMA request line
after you have read out some data, but not the threshold amount, then it will
still going to assert it when the FIFO level is up again to the threshold level.

> With burst size = transfer size there is this timeout interrupt
> that helps.

Yep, if the DMA is not reading you need to drain somehow, but I can not find
specific guidelines for it, apart from one place where it talks about some EOF
interrupt.

--
Péter