Re: OMAP3 Reset Controller Question

* Tero Kristo <t-kristo@xxxxxx> [160901 23:01]:
> On 02/09/16 05:52, Adam Ford wrote:
> > Tony,
> >
> > There were a bunch of patches from TI that were submitted, but I don't
> > see any followup.
> >
> > For example,
> > https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/7257051/
>
> This series has been abandoned for now.
>
> > I know they are a year old, but I am trying to get caught up on how
> > the device tree stuff works regarding the reset, and how hwmods relate
> > to the device tree, etc.
>
> Currently, the relationship is pretty much missing. There are plans to build
> a new reset driver implementation on top of the interconnect driver that
> Tony is working on. However, this is going to take some time to get into
> mainline still, as there are missing dependencies like this one which
> requires major rework also:
> http://www.spinics.net/lists/arm-kernel/msg515300.html

Yeah any standalone Linux driver module under drivers/ that implements
the necessary resets using Linux reset framework should be OK to do.
When we have a more generic reset driver available switching to use
that should be trivial. The omap_device and omap_hwmod calls needed
should be passed to it in platform_data using pdata-quirks.c. Similar
to what drivers/pwm/pwm-omap-dmtimer.c is doing with the dmtimer
callback functions.

What I don't want to see is more driver like features stuffed into
mach-omap2 though :)

> > I was looking through some of the TI drivers, and it looks like they
> > are applying some patches to add SGX to the device tree for the AM33x
> > and AM43x but none of that stuff has made it to the mainline.  similar
> > concepts seems reasonable to me to place into the 3430/3630 DTSI
> > files, but there seem to be different schools of thought, and I don't
> > fully understand the big picture.
>
> DT is a beast to tackle, I'm not sure if anybody has the grasp of the big
> picture of it...

We really should get the mainline kernel to handle all the resets,
clocks and power for SGX in a way that works with and without the
acceleration. Then the SGX firmware or module is just an optional
piece that may or may not be available.

> > I have some patches that I'd let to post for feedback, but the patches
> > still seem to be missing something (since the driver complains about
> > NULL pointers) and some of the entries into the hwmod and confusing to
> > me but I have tried mapping them to the TRM.
>
> I guess you could just post the patches as RFC to get some feedback.

Yeah it seems there's nothing blocking doing a reset driver for SGX.

Regards,

Tony