Re: Q: using DMA with OMAP

On 07/23/16 17:39, Ran Shalit wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I try to use DMA in a ethernet driver I am writing (for OMAP4460).
> I know there is the edma API which can be used with OMAP:
> http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/EDMA_sample_test_application

eDMA is not available on OMAPs. We have sDMA (system DMA, or DMA4).

> But on viewing the ethernet driver in the kernel tree, I can't find
> anywhere using these APIs.
> I assume there is some framework in between which is used instead (and
> probably calls the edma APIs directly).
>
> 1. Do you think for simplicity I can use the edma APIs directly ?

You should not use direct API. eDMA does not have it anymore and while sDMA
still have legacy API, we are working on to remove it.
Please use the dmaengine API to configure the DMA. This way your driver will
be portable also.

> 2.Is there any example which shows how to use DMA (which shall call
> the edma, and shall result in triggering a dma trsnaction in OMAP) ?

git grep dmaengine_prep_dma_sg
or
git grep dmaengine_terminate_all

will show you the drivers using dmaengine.

--
Péter