Re: am3517-evm breakage

On Mon, Feb 08, 2016 at 02:00:00AM +0000, Paul Walmsley wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Feb 2016, Troy Benjegerdes wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to track down and fix some breakage on the 3517/3505 SOCs.
> >
> > It seems like not a lot of testing has gone into this port since say 3.18
> > or so, and what I'm finding now is that if I try to use either the new
> > u-boot FIT image format, or load a separate uImage and dtb with bootm,
> > I get crashes in loading and/or processing the device tree.

> > And if I move up to the latest version, it seems to die in
> > unflatten_device_tree because it looks like the memory that u-boot put
> > the device tree in is unmapped.
> >
> > Any ideas on where to start with this?
>
> At least as far as the Compulab CM-T3517 board goes, it boots on the
> latest kernels with a combined uImage+DTB (grep for "cmt3517"):
>
> http://www.pwsan.com/omap/testlogs/test_v4.5-rc2/20160131225233/README.txt
>
> Console log can be found here:
>
> http://www.pwsan.com/omap/testlogs/test_v4.5-rc2/20160131225233/boot/cmt3517/
>
> Please be advised that, if you are thinking about using these chips for a
> product, I don't think there's anyone at TI spending time on mainline
> Linux support for these AM3505/3517 chips.

I kinda figured it was rather unsupported.
(this is for a 'legacy' product that needs updates)

I actually found that 'nohlt' was rather important and that the default
meta-ti yocto builds don't include it, and this ends up hanging while
waiting for the MMC to show up.

Any chance you've tested video/hdmi/lcd output on the CMT3517 board?

Also, do you happen to have the code/script that produced the output at
http://www.pwsan.com/omap/testlogs/test_v4.5-rc2/20160131225233/dtcat/omap2plus_defconfig/dtcat_20160131225233_am3517-evm_log.txt

I would like to confirm I can produce the same thing, and I'm not quite
sure what to look for in the output that it has successfully found a
device tree vs just defaulting to something.