Re: [RFC] AM35xx glue code for M-USB driver

Hi,

Rolf Peukert <rolf.peukert@xxxxxxx> writes:
> Hi Felipe,
>
> thank you for your reply.
>
> On 07.10.2015 15:59, Felipe Balbi wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> (please sure you also Cc linux-usb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for MUSB patches)
>>
>> Rolf Peukert <rolf.peukert@xxxxxxx> writes:
> [...]
>>> b) The M-USB port on our board is wired as host only. If a device is
>>> unplugged, the driver normally goes into some idle state and waits for
>>> an ID signal change. But on our board that never happens.
>>
>> did you route ID pin anywhere ? I hope you tied it to ground.
>
> I think so. I'll double-check that.

cool, thanks.

> [...]
>>> +	/* Set defaults */
>>> +	config->num_eps = 16;
>>> +	config->ram_bits = 12;
>>> +	config->multipoint = true;
>>
>> all of these are board-specific.
>>
>>> +
>>> +	bdata->interface_type = MUSB_INTERFACE_UTMI;
>>> +	bdata->mode = MUSB_OTG;
>>> +	bdata->power = 500;
>>> +	bdata->extvbus = 1;
>>
>> so are these.
>
> The AM3517/05 has an internal phy, so some of these are predetermined.
> You're right about mode and power.

and are you sure all AM35xx devices have the same number of endpoints,
the same amount of ram and all ? Chances are, you're right :-p No point
in making a new integration just for a variant.

> [...]
>>> +	phy_clk = clk_get(&pdev->dev, "hsotgusb_fck");
>>
>> why did you change the clock name ? That shouldn't be necessary.
>
> I did get "failed to get PHY clock" and "failed to get clock"
> messages.

right, this a bug elsewhere. Drivers shouldn't care about the exact
clock name ;-)

> I'll do some more testing and see if I can get by with less changes.

cool. Also, have a read at Documentation/CodingStyle,
Documentation/SubmittingPatches and Documentation/SubmitChecklist. In
short, you want to make patches containing a single logical change. So
your patch here needs to get broken.

You also need to write proper commit logs and sign your patch. It's all
described on the documentation I pointed out.

--
balbi