Re: OMAPDSS and panel-dpi

On 18 April 2014 17:40, Tony Lindgren <tony@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> * Joachim Eastwood <manabian@xxxxxxxxx> [140418 04:05]:
>> On 18 April 2014 04:50, Tony Lindgren <tony@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > * Tony Lindgren <tony@xxxxxxxxxxx> [140417 15:50]:

>> > OK so based on the link above, I got the LDP panel DPI working with
>> > the quirks now shrunk to the two panel specific GPIOs.
>> >
>> > Probably best to set those up based on "omapdss,panel-dpi-ldp"
>> > compatible flag?
>> >
>> > That is after removing the backlight_gpio from panel_dpi_probe_of()
>> > so the panel specific GPIOs can be handled easily based on the
>> > compatible flag. Current work in progress patch below for reference
>> > in case anybody has better ideas for dealing with the remaining
>> > to GPIOs.
>>
>> A reset gpio could be useful on more panels I think.
>> omapdss,panel-dsi-cm already have a reset-gpios property so maybe
>> omapdss,panel-dpi should have one too.
>
> OK. For handling the GPIOs, looks like gpio_backlight_probe_dt
> is doing:
>
> gbl->active = (gpio_flags & OF_GPIO_ACTIVE_LOW) ? 0 : 1
>
> To handle the polarity. We should probably do the same for the
> panels as we at least used to have the polarity flags in the
> platform data earlier.

Yes, that sounds good.

>> A lot of panels have mode pins, but usually these are hard coded on
>> the circuit board.
>> If it's just a bunch of static gpio values that need to be set maybe
>> you could have something like this:
>> mode-gpios = <&gpio1 10 0 &gpio1 11 0>;
>> mode-gpios-values = <1 1>;
>>
>> Driver would set these gpios to values at init.
>
> If mode-gpios can be is Linux generic, then it makes sense to add
> it. But if it's specific to this panel, I'd like to avoid setting
> up yet another custom DT *-gpios property..
>
> In any case, with (gpio_flags & OF_GPIO_ACTIVE_LOW) mode-gpio-values
> should not be needed.

Yes, that's a good idea.

> If it does not make sense to set up a generic mode-gpios for the
> panels, then panel dpi can parse the first two GPIOs for enable
> and reset. Then we can allow the rest of the array be parsed if
> needed based on the compatible flag.

Looking through the panels in omap2/display-new the most common gpio
pins are; backlight, reset and enable.
So it makes sense to have enable and reset as properties.

Gpio is used for mode setting in: nl8048hl11 and ls037v7dw01.
nl8048hl11 has just a qvga gpio, while the other one has no less than
3 mode pins (qvga and 2 scanning direction pins). All these mode pins
are set once and then never touched again.

Using gpios property for setting up an arbitrary amount of mode pins
so like a solution to me.

regards
Joachim Eastwood