Re: Help running latest linux-omap kernel on Nokia N810

On 26/02/14 23:29, Aaro Koskinen wrote:

> First the bad news: display support is not in the mainline kernel. Also
> since linux-omap tree follows the mainline, it's not there either anymore.
> Tomi removed the n8x0 panel driver some time ago (I don't know why), but
> even then it wasn't working as the platform data failed to set up some

It would've been a big effort to keep the panel driver compiling, as we
moved to a new display driver architecture. And, as it wasn't working
anyway, I deemed it simpler to just remove it.

I have no objections to add it back, but it needs to be split into two
separate drivers, blizzard encoder driver and the panel driver. The RFBI
driver also probably needs some love. And, of course, DT support for all
those.

In theory, RFBI is relatively simple. If I recall right, the panel is
also quite simple, although it still needs to be controlled via SPI.
Blizzard was a bit more complex one, but perhaps most of its features
can be just left out.

But getting all those three working fine without being able to make any
measurements between the components, well, one might needs some luck
there =).

I do have N800 and N810 (no serial mods), so I might be able to give
some help there at some point, if I'm able to boot the board with usb
gadget ethernet (which hasn't been working for me for omap3 for some time).

 Tomi