Re: Help running latest linux-omap kernel on Nokia N810

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 06:24:36PM +0000, Leigh Brown wrote:
> I have built the latest linux-omap git tree for my N810 but when I
> boot it I get a black screen with the backlight on.
>
> Does anyone have a working .config that they could share with me?
>
> During my investigations I have discovered that the kernel
> configuration has changed enormously in the last couple of years.  I
> was worried that the N810 was no longer supported at allm especially
> when I saw that a few of the old drivers (blizzard) had been
> removed.  I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered that a lot of
> the old drivers had been replaced by new ones.
>
> I will document the latest state of play with the N810 once I have
> got things going.  All I really want is a text console with working
> keyboard and wifi, initially.
>
> Any help will be gratefully received.

I can't help much, because I do not own any N8x0 device, but you
should probably visit [0] (and update it once you get stuff working
:))

The omap platform is currently moving over to Device Tree [1] based
booting, so you come at the right time to test DT based booting on
your N810. Building a DT kernel for your N810 works like this:

enable the following config entries:

CONFIG_ARM_APPENDED_DTB=y
CONFIG_ARM_ATAG_DTB_COMPAT=y
CONFIG_ARM_ATAG_DTB_COMPAT_CMDLINE_EXTEND=y
CONFIG_PINCTRL=y
CONFIG_PINCTRL_SINGLE=y

and build zImage like this:

$ export ARCH=arm
$ export CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi-
$ make zImage
$ make omap2420-n810.dtb
$ cat arch/arm/boot/zImage arch/arm/boot/dts/omap3-n900.dtb > zImage

Be aware, that the DTS file seems to lack display & keyboard support
at the moment, so you may want to start building a serial adapter
first. See [2] for details on this. This may seem like lots of work,
but it really makes things much easier.

[0] http://elinux.org/N800
[1] http://devicetree.org/
[2] http://bues.ch/cms/hacking/n810-serial.html