Re: No audio support for BeagleBoard in Latest GIT tree?

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 10:18:16 +0100
"ext ndno72-omap@xxxxxxxxx" <ndno72-omap@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 2) The BeagleBoard uses the twl4030 device for its audio (among other things); for our OMAP3 custom board, we're not using that, we're going to continue use the AIC33 codec (like what we used on our Davinci custom board).  Is adding support for the AIC33 codec as simple as enabling that option in the OMAP3 GIT kernel configuration under ALSA?  Or do I have to do a lot of porting?  If so, what is the best approach, i.e. porting the AIC33 initialization/driver code for mthe Davinci GIT kernel into OMAP3 GIT kernel?

With ALSA System on Chip (ASoC) porting is pretty simple. There is
already driver for AIC33 (sound/soc/codecs/tlv320aic3x.c), ASoC OMAP
platfrom drivers (sound/soc/omap) and also machine drivers using AIC33
(sound/soc/omap/n810.c and sound/soc/davinci/davinci-evm.c).

So what you need is basically to write your own machine driver using
mostly copy-paste approach.

> 3) Is OSS audio API no longer supported?  Our existing application uses the OSS audio API; the latest kernel seems to only support ALSA; is OSS emulation (on top of ALSA) working and/or reliable?

At least some few OSS applications I have tried were working fine with
OSS emulation.

Jarkko