Re: [ANNOUNCE:RFC] convert OMAP to use clkdev

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 09:04:08AM -0800, Tony Lindgren wrote:
> Russell, can you please post your omap-clks[12] patches here too for review
> so people can look at them? It's ok to post a large series of patches to
> this list.

TBH, I haven't worked out how to get git to sanely do that yet, and
I suspect that git-send-email will overload my mail server at this
end due to lack of grace periods between messages.  However, I'll
try to sort something out over the next week or so.

> > There's still a bit of work to be done here - I've left the original
> > 'name' and 'id' members in the struct clk solely for the debugfs code.
> > Obviously this is wasteful if you don't have debugfs enabled.
>
> Is this series missing a patch to just clk_get ick and fck for
> omap_hsmmc.c?

Yes and no - I can't do that until we sort out where/when omap_hsmmc is
going to get merged.

> Shrinking the clock*-h is a good thing.
>
> However my main concern is that this series is going to cause a massive
> manual merge pain for us to get in sync with the linux-omap tree.

That's something I can't help.

I requested that the clock changes be merged upstream ASAP several months
ago so I could work on the OMAP clock API without causing major merge
pain.  Unfortunately, this hasn't been forthcoming, and after waiting a
reasonable amount of time, I've given up waiting.

I had given up all hope of ever seeing the omap-clks1 branch in mainline.
Really.  Until I saw a comment from you about apparantly wanting to see it
upstream.  However, I still have a very big question whether any of this
work will ever reach mainline, especially since my experimental omap-clks1
branch seems to have been broken up with random bits applied to your tree
with zero discussion with me.

> > [*] - these are for the RNG and OHCI drivers, and have been left out
> > for the time being because they conflict with my master branch, and
> > would make the omap-clks2 patch unnecessarily difficult for people to
> > try.
> >
> > Note: please don't think about polluting mach/clkdev.h, thanks.
>
> Huh?

Don't put anything else in mach/clkdev.h - it's full.