Re: Extended driver private controls?

ext Hans Verkuil wrote:
Hi Sakari,

Hello,

What I did to support private controls is to allow drivers to add their own controls to the various classes, as long as the low 16 bits are >= 0x1000.

You add them to videodev2.h (see the CX2341X private controls), and you just pick a starting base such as 'V4L2_CTRL_CLASS_MPEG | 0x1100'.

This way the controls are together in one header, they have unique IDs, and you can assign them to a specific class.
So, to summarize: for new drivers I recommend using V4L2_CTRL_FLAG_NEXT_CTRL and adding the private controls to videodev2.h and to prepare documentation for inclusion with the v4l2 spec. If you really must support old apps, then you might have to make duplicate PRIVATE_BASE controls (yuck!), but I hope that won't be necessary.

Thanks, Hans, for the definitive answer. This is what we'll do then.

Cheers,

--
Sakari Ailus
sakari.ailus@xxxxxxxxx