Re: [REVIEW] v4l2 debugging: match drivers by name instead of the deprecated ID

On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 13:45:56 +0100
Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Jean Delvare has stated repeatedly that the I2C driver IDs will have to go.
> However, one major user inside V4L2 are the VIDIOC_G_CHIP_IDENT and
> VIDIOC_DBG_G/S_REGISTER ioctls.
>
> These ioctls are meant as debugging and testing ioctls and (in the case of
> G_CHIP_IDENT) for internal use in the kernel (e.g. a bridge driver that
> needs to know which I2C chip variant is present).
>
> These ioctls should not be used in applications and luckily this is indeed
> the case. I scanned the major applications and did a google search and
> everything came up clean.
>
> I made the following changes:
>
> #define V4L2_CHIP_MATCH_HOST       0  /* Match against chip ID on host (0
> for the host) */
> #define V4L2_CHIP_MATCH_I2C_DRIVER 1  /* Match against I2C driver name */
> #define V4L2_CHIP_MATCH_I2C_ADDR   2  /* Match against I2C 7-bit address */
>
> struct v4l2_match_info {
>         __u32 type; /* Match type */
>         union {
>                 __u32 addr;
>                 char name[32];
>         };
> } __attribute__ ((packed));
>
> struct v4l2_register {
>         struct v4l2_match_info match;
>         __u64 reg;
>         __u64 val;
> } __attribute__ ((packed));
>
> /* VIDIOC_DBG_G_CHIP_IDENT */
> struct v4l2_chip_ident {
>         struct v4l2_match_info match;
>         __u32 ident;
>         __u32 revision;
> } __attribute__ ((packed));
>
> So the match will now be done against either a chip address or a driver
> name.
>
> I also added additional comments in videodev2.h, warning against ever using
> it in applications:
>
> #if 1 /*KEEP*/
> /* Experimental, meant for debugging, testing and internal use.
>    Only implemented if CONFIG_VIDEO_ADV_DEBUG is defined.
>    You must be root to use these ioctls. Never use these in applications! */
> #define VIDIOC_DBG_S_REGISTER    _IOW('V', 79, struct v4l2_register)
> #define VIDIOC_DBG_G_REGISTER   _IOWR('V', 80, struct v4l2_register)
>
> /* Experimental, meant for debugging, testing and internal use.
>    Never use this ioctl in applications! */
> #define VIDIOC_DBG_G_CHIP_IDENT _IOWR('V', 81, struct v4l2_chip_ident)
> #endif
>
> And VIDIOC_G_CHIP_IDENT was renamed to VIDIOC_DBG_G_CHIP_IDENT, again to
> clearly mark this as a debugging API.
>
> All this is available in this tree:
> http://www.linuxtv.org/hg/~hverkuil/v4l-dvb-drvid

Seems ok to me, but, while you're there, you should add another field to
get/set register routines, in order to provide the size of the register. This
will allow removing some hacks at the debug application needed by some usb
devices.

> Now, the main question I have is whether I should keep the old
> VIDIOC_G_CHIP_IDENT around for 2.6.29 with a big warning if someone tries
> to use it, or do we just change it since 1) it is marked experimental and
> for debugging purposes only, and 2) I cannot find a single application that
> uses it and even Google throws up only a handful of pages.

IMO, return -EINVAL and print an error at dmesg.

Cheers,
Mauro