Calling an I2C camera sensor with SMBUS API?

Hi,

Some days back, Vaibhav Hiremat submitted patches for an I2C chip, and somebody (I think David Brownell) suggested to use SMBUS API instead of manually constructing i2c messages and sending using i2c_transfer API.

So I attempted to do the same for a camera sensor I've been working on.

But one thing I noticed is that my sensor needs to access 16-bit register addresses in the device, and I saw in SMBUS spec 2.0 that the equivalent thing (SMBUS commands) are only 8-bit length.

So, should this automatically discard using SMBUS api for my case, or am I missing something else? (like a SMBUS 16-bit expansion or so)

Regards,
Sergio