Re: PWM drivers for TWL4030

Op 25 nov 2008, om 22:26 heeft David Brownell het volgende geschreven:

On Tuesday 25 November 2008, Koen Kooi wrote:

Op 25 nov 2008, om 21:06 heeft David Brownell het volgende geschreven:

On Tuesday 25 November 2008, Koen Kooi wrote:

How about a standard LED driver (optionally with a brightness
control) and the newish "backlight" trigger?

Does the backlight trigger hook into the backlight class?

It doesn't seem to call backlight_device_register(), though
I don't know why not.  It just looks like it hooks into the
same notification events the backlight class does.

Re "why not" ... partial answer:  because it doesn't have
a way to associate itself with the panel whose backlight
it's supplying.  Seems like that should be solvable.

Most userspace doesn't support more than one panel, it takes the first entry that has a 'brightness' node. Fragile, but valid for almost all current devices. Things like the BUG with an option for 2 LCD panels will break that assumption, but lets cross that bridge when we get there.

If you think that's trouble, it would probably be a good
thing to bring that up with the author of that new trigger
code (drivers/leds/ledtrig-backlight.c) ... it's very new,
and I'd expect such userspace interface goofs still ought
to be fixable.

Our mails on this subject crossed eachother :)

Short recap: the backlight trigger is usefull for turnign on/off e.g.
status leds at the same the the backlight goes on/off, but shouldn't
be (ab)used for backlight control.

That's not what its Kconfig description says.  So I think
that if you care about this, you should raise the issue
with someone more involved.