Re: [PREVIEW] New display subsystem for OMAP2/3

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 07:59:44PM +0530, ext Shah, Hardik wrote:
> It's time to re-design DSS frame buffer driver for the OMAP2/3.  Current frame buffer driver is not covering the most of the functionality of the OMAP2/3 DSS Hardware like multiple outputs and multiple overlay managers supported by OMAP2/3 class of SoC. Again there is no V4L2 interface exposed by the DSS drivers for controlling the video pipelines of the DSS which is highly desirable feature as the video pipelines of the DSS hardware is a natural fit to the V4L2 architecture.

If you want to use v4l for video output, don't let me stop you, but I
don't see that it has much actual wide use beyond TI PowerPoint
presentations about their graphical architecture.

> We have already initiated the re-designing of the DSS drivers and already posted the RFC for the same on the Linux-Omap and the V4L2 mailing lists.  Below is the link for the RFC submitted by us on the open source mailing lists -
>
> http://lists-archives.org/video4linux/23648-omap3-display-driver-v4l2.html
> http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-omap@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg02510.html

I like this proposal a lot better, but I think fbdev + v4l is not a
great plan.  Have you looked at DRM modesetting drivers?

Cheers,
Daniel