Re: [RFC][DRAFT] TODO list for TI DSP BRIDGE

From: "ext Woodruff, Richard" <r-woodruff2@xxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [RFC][DRAFT] TODO list for TI DSP BRIDGE
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 09:32:32 -0500

> Hi Hiroshi,
>
> > I sent some patches based on the above suggestion.
> >
> >   http://marc.info/?l=linux-omap&m=121922597019873&w=2
> >   http://marc.info/?l=linux-omap&m=121922593919766&w=2
> >
> > I think that this virtual clock may allow any arbitrary combination of
> > clocks and it may be possible to have multiple hierarchy of virtual
> > clocks like:
> >
> >    dsp_clocks
> >    |-- peripheral_clocks
> >    |     |
> >    |     |-- gpt5
> >    |     |    |- gpt5_ick
> >    |     |    `- gpt5_fck
> >    |-- ....
> >    ..
> >
> > Any comments would be appreciated.
>
> A few quick comments:
>
> - First off, I do like the idea of virtual clocks for grouping.  I
> did do this for OMAP2 for completely internal and dependent root
> clocks.  I also thought it might be nice to extend clock frame work
> to allow external clock registration (say for a codec chip).  In our
> local tree I did even add it.  One main issue was the internal clock
> structure is supposed to be opaque and you need to set internals to
> add a clock node.

Can I find your OMAP2 implementation in omapzoom for virtual clock?

> - I worry a bit about grouping of internal resources which may be
> allocated differently per implementation.  Perhaps a board specific
> resource can handle it, but you've not included that in the patch.
>
> - Where is the board specific side of this call?  I see clock calls
> added to clock.c but not resources added to mach-omap2/xyz-board.c.

One example is "arch/arm/mach-omap2/mcbsp.c" in the second patch and I
think that board specific grouping is also expected.

> - You're not preserving the enable error path back to the virtual
> clock.  A recovery from a failure would be messy.

Right, this is updated in the latest patch.

> - Will these clocks always be handled as a group?  If I were to try
> and optimize I might shut down a gpt5 clock individually to allow a
> PER domain to power off.  The DSP should aggressively be letting go
> of resource when it doesn't need them to allow power to work.  1
> virtual resource with all related clocks would not be right.

If this is the case, vclk wouldn't work so nicely.

> If you wanted grouping their might be like DSP-CORE,
> DSP-Streaming-Audio, Dsp-...  You will want better granularity.  So
> the enable/disables are effective for power savings.  This is
> especially true if your not even using say a McBSP and are doing
> something like JPEG decode.

The above grouping proposal sounds quite promissing to me. In any
case, how to group up dsp clocks is tightly coupled with dsp system
operating policy. It's bit hard to guess it just from the bridge code
now.

Thank you for your comments.

      Hiroshi DOYU