Re: Kernel hang on OMAP3 based Beagle board, RTC issue?

Koen Kooi wrote:

Op 2 jul 2008, om 22:03 heeft Gadiyar, Anand het volgende geschreven:

At Beagle IRC there was some discussion [1] [2] today about kernel
hang on OMAP3 based Beagle board. I'll try to summarize discussion  and
Khasim's findings, maybe somebody here has an idea.

Latest OMAP git kernel seems to hang on beagle board after some time.
You don't see any crash, but after a while typing, anything doesn't
work. SD stops as well, so you can only do stuff that's in ram, any  IO
will block. It can take >1 day to get there, but mostly it's ~30 minutes.

Khasim found that it seems disabling RTC will remove the hang. When
booting the git kernel after some time there are no timer or PRCM
interrupts and the control resides in cpu_idle. We don't know where
exactly the problem in RTC is, but while browsing the history of  files
related to RTC Khasim found that some changes were done to the files
to handle T2 interrupts in a centralized way for USB, Battery and  RTC.
It seems even Battery broke with this patch set

http://source.mvista.com/git/gitweb.cgi?p=linux-omap-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=68d7477caca19c0b52b5d4e85700cd3e6115577f

May be this is the change that is affecting RTC. But it's unclear why
it is affecting GP timer and PRCM interrupts.

Any idea?

Thanks and please correct if something is wrong in the summary

Dirk

Khasim also found that T2 RTC is not enabled by default in 3430sdp
defconfig, but it appears to be enabled in the beagleboard defconfig.
Maybe you can get by by simply disabling T2 RTC in menuconfig for now?

Tried that and I get the same hang, so I don't think the RTC is to  blame.

Short update just in case anybody has an idea:

Gadiyar spent some time with git-bisect (thanks!):

It seems that the bad commit is probably between:
# good: [3ffec4e18484c34838fa341de3848306c29ecd5d] 24XX: PM: Move pm.c to pm24xx.c
and sleep.S to sleep24xx.S
and # bad: [458776cfe389ff03bd6c56c47e059df0778cdfca] OMAP3430SDP: Enable config
options CONFIG_OMAP_RESET_CLOCKS and CONFIG_SUSPEND

This is a 9-patch series by Jouni Hogander related to suspend and power-management.

Dirk