RE: Booting OMAP5912 with 2.6.8 kernel

> My intension here is to use filesystem flashed onto the flash memory
at
> 0x1000000 location. When tried booting with Montavista kernel which
comes
> with CD, it works fine. But fails when tried booting with custom
kernel
> compiled using 2.6.8-rc3_080804.tar.bz2 package from TI site.
> True that it could not find root file system which is placed at
0x1000000
> of flash. But what could be the root value
> to make it work?  does manual partition of the FLASH memory is
required ?

If you are trying to use the 2.6.8 kernel with the default file-system
that comes with the OSK, I don't believe this will work. The montavista
kernel that comes with the OSK is a 2.4 kernel and not 2.6. Therefore,
you should create a new flash file-system for the 2.6.8 kernel.

Check out the OSK wiki page: http://elinux.org/OSK

In particular see the "OSK5912 Newbie Guide" that provides details on
how to create a flash file-system.

http://www.capgo.com/Resources/SoftwareDev/osk-newbie-guide.pdf

Also, please copy the list. You can also search the mailing list on the
following page, as there has been a lot of discussion with regard to the
OSK in the past.

http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ports.arm.omap

Cheers
Jon