Re: upstream merge schedule

Hi Felipe,

On Jan 19, 2008 2:34 AM, Felipe Balbi <me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 18, 2008 at 08:41:23AM -0800, Tony Lindgren wrote:
> > * Daniel Walker <dwalker@xxxxxxxxxx> [080117 21:57]:
> > >
> > > When I made the nokia770 patch (just sent) I was wonder when it would be
> > > merged? It seems that omap upstream merges are somewhat slow going, why
> > > is that?
> >
> > Ideally patches should get merged to linux-omap within few days
> > and in more intrusive cases within few weeks. But sometimes patches
> > pile up, and now we have some patches pending mostly because I
> > was travelling for three weeks. I will be applying patches starting
> > today, so hopefully we'll have the pending patches cleared up within
> > next few days.
> >
> > Regarding merging core omap stuff to mainline kernel, we still need
> > to clean up few things to get arch/arm/*omap directories in sync with
> > mainline. After currently pending patches arch/arm/mach-omap1 and
> > plat-omap will be within one or two more main releases away from
> > being in sync, and mach-omap2 will take a bit longer. So hopefully
> > we'll be in sync with mainline for core omap stuff during this year.
> >
> > Regarding merging various drivers upstream, they need to go through
> > various driver mailing lists or LKML. So ideally the person who has
> > done the patch will also send it for merging to the right mailing
> > list. Otherwise the driver patch will most likely just stay in
> > linux-omap tree.
>
> Besides that, i think after omap2 merge we could schedule a driver merge
> task so we get all drivers made in omap tree to upstream (also the
> defconfigs :-).

I think once gpiolib gets integrated with mainline kernel, then it
would be easy convert
our current gpio expander code to use gpiolib (some of this conversion
patches were posted by David for DaVinci and OMAP)
and the drivers having this depedancies like OMAP IR, USB tranceiver
and other drivers using current gpio_expander_* apis,
can merged easily to upstream. If I remember correctly, OMAP IR driver
went through the upstream review by Samuel, but was
rejected due to this GPIO_EXPA KConfig symbol and api dependency :)

--
--Trilok Soni
-