Re: Generic IRQs: proper edge/level via irq_chip->set_type hook

David Brownell <david-b@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Tuesday 04 December 2007, Kevin Hilman wrote:
>> The hack below allows me to get the above idea working, but I'm
>> looking for better suggestions on how to rework the locking here so
>> that the handler might be changed from within the irq_chip's set_type
>> handler.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> As I'm sure you know, this problem can show up on most platforms.
> It's not limited to OMAP; more generic solutions are needed.

Agreed.

> One solution would have the irq_chip.set_type() method just call
>
> /* caller has locked the irq_desc and both params are valid */
> static inline void __set_irq_handler_unlocked(int irq, irq_flow_handler_t handler)
> {
> 	irq_desc[irq].handler = handler;
> }

I like this.  For starters, I'll submit an RFC patcheset to the OMAP
list which adds this and then fixes up the OMAP GPIO handlers to use
it, as well as a couple other fixes/cleanups for OMAP.

> Another solution, limited to chained handlers, is to have the
>chaining handler call the right handler (edge or level) directly
>instead of calling generic_handle_irq():
>
> 	if (desc->status & IRQ_LEVEL)
> 		handle_level_irq(irq, desc);
> 	else
> 		handle_edge_irq(irq, desc);
>
> Of course that requires set_type() to maintain that status flag,
> which currently isn't handled by the genirq core.

This is what I'm currently doing, but I was hoping for something a bit
more generic that other platforms could use too.

-