Re: NUMA page allocation from next Node

On Mon, 2010-11-01 at 19:48 +0530, Tharindu Rukshan Bamunuarachchi
wrote:
> Tim,
>
> I found that default value for "zone_reclaim_mode" is zero in HP
> machine. But It is one in IBM.
> Why does it set 1 or 0 in different hardware

Because the SLIT on the IBM platform has distances > 20.  Looks like IBM
is populating the SLIT on those platforms with "real" values.  The HP
bios is not supplying a slit, letting the remote distances default to
20.  That is the threshold for setting zone_reclaim_mode.  A patch was
submitted recently to bump the threshold to ~30.  Now that vendors are
starting to populate the SLIT with values > 20, we've begun to see the
behavior that you experienced.

Regards,
Lee