RE: Possible man numactl error?

-----Original Message-----
From: Andi Kleen [mailto:andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 11 February 2010 14:41
To: MacCana, Mike
Cc: linux-numa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Possible man numactl error?

>On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 02:26:14PM -0000, MacCana, Mike wrote:
>> I've spotted what appears to be an inconsistency between man numactl
>> and /proc & /sys.
>>
>>        --physcpubind=cpus, -C cpus
>>               Only  execute  process  on cpus.  This accepts physical
>> cpu numbers as shown in the processor fields of /proc/cpuinfo.

>"physical CPU" in this case means CPUs as shown by cpuinfo, not APIC
IDs or package ids or anything like that.
> Perhaps the man page could be clarified (mostly for people who think
too complicated like you :-) and yes perhaps it is better in this age
with all kinds of virtual CPUs

Thanks for the quick reply. I agree, the man page (and the long switch
name) are confusing - I've never heard the term 'physical CPU' to mean
anything other than a CPU die / package.

Mike