Re: Possible man numactl error?

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 02:26:14PM -0000, MacCana, Mike wrote:
> I've spotted what appears to be an inconsistency between man numactl and
> /proc & /sys.
>
>        --physcpubind=cpus, -C cpus
>               Only  execute  process  on cpus.  This accepts physical
> cpu numbers as shown in the processor fields of /proc/cpuinfo.

"physical CPU" in this case means CPUs as shown by cpuinfo,
not APIC IDs or package ids or anything like that.

> However the processor field of /proc/cpuinfo refers to logical
> processors (ie, run queues), not physical ones. Eg:

I don't think the term 'logical CPU' or 'run queues'
is used anywhere in the kernel for CPU numbers.

Perhaps the man page could be clarified (mostly for people
who think too complicated like you :-) and yes perhaps
it is better in this age with all kinds of virtual CPUs

-Andi