Re: alloc_pages_node(... GFP_KERNEL | GFP_THISNODE ...) fails

On Wed, 3 Jun 2009, Christoph Lameter wrote:

> > I'm assuming that pgalloc_{zone} is being incremented correctly in
> > /proc/vmstat if you have CONFIG_VM_EVENT_COUNTERS enabled (and that you're
> > using a recent kernel, you never mentioned your version).
> >
> > Keep in mind the vm stat threshold which will purposefully neglect to
> > update ZVCs if it is not reached.
>
> ZVCs will be updated after a second or so. The threshhold is to bound
> deviations within the ZVC update interval.

The point is that you can see disagreement between NUMA_HIT and
NR_FREE_PAGES depending on when you collect your statistics if the
threshold has been reached for one ZVC and not another inside the
interval.

This likely isn't the case for Max since it's easily reproducible; I would
suggest checking the `count' for the allocating cpu's pcp from
/proc/zoneinfo as I earlier described.