Re: libnuma numa.h issues

Hi Brice,

  Sorry for the delay.  I have been paying attention, but had a problem
getting the source changes to ftp://oss.sgi.com/www/projects/libnuma/download/

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 06:33:08PM +0200, Brice Goglin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I reported Debian bug #487954 about some issues with recent libnuma
> numa.h. Ian told me to check 2.0.2-rc1 and report the remaining issues
> here, so here I am.
>
> First, shouldn't the following variable be extern?
>     /* set up to represent the cpus available to the current task */
>     struct bitmask *numa_all_cpus;
> If not, why do we want it to be included in every object file?

numa_all_cpus is a mistake, I think.  It's left over from version 1.
The bitmap of all cpus is found via struct bitmask *numa_all_cpus_ptr.

I deleted it from numa.h

> Then, VERSION1_COMPATIBILITY should be prefixed with NUMA_ or so to
> avoid namespace collision.

Done.

> And, finally, how are we supposed to support old and new libnuma version
> in our end application? Supporting only API 2 isn't possible so early.
> Is there something we can check and that you guys guarantee to not break
> in the future? It would be nice to have something like #define
> LIBNUMA_API_VERSION 2 in numa.h so that we can check it at compile time.

Done.  I spelled it exactly as you suggest.

> thanks,
> Brice

I put out the tarball as numactl-2.0.2-rc2.tar.gz.
   (ftp://oss.sgi.com/www/projects/libnuma/download/)
Thanks for your testing and feedback.  Could you see if this version
fixes your issues?

-Cliff
--
Cliff Wickman