Re: [static superblock discussion] Does nilfs2 do any in-place writes?

Hi Vyacheslav,

> I suppose that current implementation is not bad. And it is possible
> to give what you want by simple management of superblock's
> update timeout. Because and now superblock is updated on mount/umount
> and with frequency is defined by some timeout.

What would happen in case of an unclean shutdown and a very large
superblock update intervall (several hours)?
As far as I understood, this is where Andreas' patch would come into play?

> Ok. But I can't see anything bad for my approach. Because primary reserved
> area will be 8MB. So, if super root (and all other info) is 4KB, for example, then
> we can do 2048 write operations without any erase operations.

The problem with this approach is, that there is a minimal write unit
which size is dependant on the FTL - explained in the linaro wiki:

> The smallest write unit is significantly larger than a page.
> Reading or writing less than one of these units causes a full unit to be accessed.
> Trying to do streaming write in smaller units causes the medium to do multiple
> read-modify-write cycles on the same write unit, which in turn causes multiple
> garbage collection cycles for writing a single allocation group from start to end.

So updating 4kb pages in a linear fashion would cause
read-modify-write cycles on most devices, with blocks as large as the
mapping unit (for SD cards this often means a full erase block of
several MBs).
The chapter "FAT optimization" lists several of those caveats, I found
it a very intersting and worthwhile reading.

Regards, Clemens