Re: [static superblock discussion] Does nilfs2 do any in-place writes?

Hi Vyacheslav,

Just to make sure I understand your approach: You reserve two areas (a
few mb in size) which are dedicated to hold only super-root data and
this data is written at the same frequency as the current superblock?
If so, this most likely won't improve the situation for flash media
with weak FTL - as those writes will still be concentrated around a
few erase blocks. For devices with powerful FTL such as modern SSDs,
updating the superblock periodically doesn't pose a real problem.

I am still somewhat favour an optional simple linear-scan.
Would it be possible to check at mount-time whether the volume was
cleanly unmounted and otherwise perform a linear scan?
So when I mount the volume with o=no_superblock_update a flag is set
in the superblock, which is reset on a clean volume unmount after the
most recent segment has been stored in the superblock.
When at mount-time the flag is still set, nilfs knows a scan is
required as the segment in the superblock is not up-to-date.

Thanks & regards, Clemens