Re: Best way to shut down NILFS2? (umount hang issue)...

Hi Michael,

On Thu, 2013-09-19 at 19:19 -0400, Michael L. Semon wrote:

[snip]

> The issue still happens.  One patch was already in the kernel, and
> the second patch you mentioned did not make much of a difference.
> The second patch is still installed, though.

Ok. Thank you for report. I'll try to reproduce the issue, firstly.

> The problem I mentioned above is the one that is easy to explain.
> The crash doesn't even have to stress the computer:  A simple
> SysRq-induced crash should be enough to get the problem started,
> though the PC might need to be crashed more than once.
>
> I've changed / to mount as errors=panic, but there has been no
> panic yet.
>
> # ================
>
> Here is where the overall problem becomes hard to explain.  Consider this
> scenario:
>
> / is NILFS2 (rw,order=strict)
> /boot is JFS
> /tmp is JFS
> /usr/src is JFS
>
> Because I don't want the hung NILFS2 umount to give problems to /tmp and
> /usr/src, I adapted the end of the standard Slackware shutdown script to
> look something like this:
>
> /bin/umount -v -a -t noproc,nosysfs,nonilfs2
>
> # This line can be here to show a sync problem, or removed
> # to show a umount problem....
> sync
>
> /bin/umount -v -a -t nilfs2
>
> echo "Remounting root filesystem read-only."
> /bin/mount -v -n -o remount,ro /dev/sdb12 /
>
> [I can get you the exact script next time.]

Ok. Please, share all additional details (or script) that it will be
helpful for the issue reproducing from your point of view.

So, I need in such details:
(1) Could you share the output of "nilfs-tune -l"?
(2) Could you share /etc/fstab content and "mount" output for the
reproduced issue case?
(3) Could you share "fdisk -l" or "parted -l" output?
(4) Could you share /etc/nilfs_cleanerd.conf content?

> I choose to build a kernel, which fills memory, exercises a JFS
> filesystem and probably writes temp files to /tmp on JFS.  `make
> install` installs the kernel to /boot on JFS.  [BTW, `make install`
> can stall when /boot is within a NILFS2 / partition, but that has
> not been tested since I started using a separate /boot partition.]
>
> There is a much higher chance that shutdown will hang before the
> NILFS2 partitions are umounted.  A simple `mount` placed before the
> `sync` shows that umount is honoring the "nonilfs2" flag, and the
> NILFS2 partitions are still mounted.  So why would the sync *before*
> the umount of NILFS2 partitions get hung between segctord and sync,
> when mount supposedly has not umounted the NILFS2 partitions yet?
> This is why I mentioned the sync issue and the umount issue at the
> same time.
>
> Could it be that `umount ... nonilfs2` causes /etc/mtab to be
> modified, which is updated by NILFS2 on /, but it is not done in
> time to make sync (or the next `umount ... nilfs2`) happy?  I'm
> only speculating on this idea.

I hope that I have enough details for successful reproducing of the
issue. But if I encounter some troubles then I'll ask you about
additional details. I'll share results of my attempt, anyway.

So, I think that it needs to reproduce the issue and to investigate it
before answering on your questions. :)

Thanks,
Vyacheslav Dubeyko.