Re: Best way to shut down NILFS2? (umount hang issue)...

On Wed, 2013-09-18 at 12:26 -0400, Michael L. Semon wrote:

[snip]

> > As far as I can see, your NILFS2 file system was remounted in RO mode
> > because of internal error. Could you confirm my understanding?
>
> Yes, but only on reboot.  Other programs crash the PC, and NILFS2 has to
> recover from that crash.  The PC spends a lot of time running xfstests and
> LTP with a kernel that is set to panic.  NILFS2 itself seems OK, and its
> latest xfstests run looked good, using default mkfs.nilfs2 options and
> mounting with "-o pp=0".

[snip]

> It is strictly like this so far:
>
> 1) NILFS2 / boots OK
> 2) no problems
> 3) shutdown is OK
> 4) NILFS2 / boots OK
> 5) computer crashes for some other reason
> 6) NILFS2 / boots OK, but displays a message that recovery was used
> 7) no problems
> 8) here, shutdown may hang on sync or umount (50% chance)
>
> In other words, NILFS2 has not had an error to make it remount read-only
> while the PC is running.  The problem may solve itself over time, or I
> may have to boot to another partition, then mount and umount the NILFS2
> partition to get it to recover and umount cleanly again.

So, maybe it is another issue.

[snip]

> I'll try your patches tonight and report back in 1-2 days.

Ok. Please, inform me about the result anyway. If suggested patches
don't fix the issue then I will begin investigation.

But, I begin to suspect presence of another issue after additional
analysis of provided by you outputs. So, I am waiting results of your
attempt.

Thanks,
Vyacheslav Dubeyko.