Re: searching checkpoints contaning an inode (or a filename)

On Sat, 6 Jul 2013 11:34:32 +0400, Vyacheslav Dubeyko wrote:
> Hi Taesoo,
>
> On Jul 6, 2013, at 12:17 AM, Taesoo Kim wrote:
>
>> Hi nilfs,
>>
>> I am evaluating nilfs for using it in my machine. There are a few
>> questions regarding usages:
>>
>> q1. how can I enumerate a list of cps, given a filename?
>> (I know I can mount each cp to check whether there is my file or
>> not, as time-machine (in mac) does)

I think it's hard to implement this feature efficiently because nilfs
doesn't have an efficient lookup method of past inodes from a file
name.

> You can use dumpseg fot this goal. To be honest this way not so
> simple. You can get inode id from ls output ("ls -i"), for example.
> And then you need to get dumpseg for all segments and select
> output for searching inode. Of course, it needs to implement
> special feature for easy retrieving such data.

dumpseg is a debug tool and it doesn't provide a solid way since it
directly scans on-disk blocks from userland.

We should adds an ioctl for that if there is a reasonable purpose, but
I don't know it can be implemented nicely.

>> q2. compute diff or cat against previous files in a specific cp?
>> (instead of mounting and copying them individually to my /tmp)
>>

> As I understand, currently, we haven't this as feature of any
> NILFS2's tool or internal file system technique.

An experimental patchset and a tool exist:

http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-nilfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg00827.html

nilfs-diff:

   git://github.com/konis/nilfs-utils.git (diff branch)

diff API:

   git://github.com/konis/nilfs2.git (diffapi branch)

But I have never sent this to the mainline because the patchset has
important limitations for practical use in addition to needing a disk
format change.

Regards,
Ryusuke Konishi