Re: Corrupted nilfs2 volume

Hi Alexander,

On Fri, 2013-03-15 at 06:40 +0400, Alexander Bezrukov wrote:
> Hello!
>
> First of all, thank you for the nilfs2.
>
> I have been using this filesystem for few years on different types of storage ranging from small SSDs to huge 10+TB volumes on big arrays with no a single problem but now I am stuck with a broken volume.
>
> The long story short. I have a laptop which runs vanilla linux-3.8.2 with nilfs on root partition (and nilfs-utils-2.1.4, if that matters; the volume has been created with 2.0.*-series of nilfs-utils with default options). Yesterday I noticed it doesn't switch its display off (probably because of some failed io) and continously displays a screensaver but I didn't touch it. Today I touched it to see that it deadly hung. I had to power cycle the laptop and since then the kernel cannot mount rootfs with:
>
> NILFS: Invalid checkpoint (checkpoint number=5439464)
> NILFS: error loading last checkpoint (checkpoint number=5439464)

Had you any snapshots on this volume?

It needs to investigate the issue more deeply. Could you try to mount this volume under another system? I hope that it gives opportunity to get more details about the issue from system log. So, could you share NILFS2 related messages for such try?

> I booted from a USB flash and inspected S.M.A.R.T attributes of the HDD. It looks absolutely healthy.
>
> Of remarkable events, couple of months ago I have managed to make the / partition full. My distro has made a change in its initscripts (or maybe udev rules, I don't remember exactly) which led to /dev/root symlink no more created. With no /dev/root, nilfs_cleanerd didn't start, this lead to the full root partition and at the end /etc/mtab could no more be created early at boot. I rebooted with init=/bin/bash, remounted / read-write, started nilfs_cleanerd manually, waited until it cleans space and manually fixed the problem with /dev/root. After that I used my laptop for about two months, absolutely flawlessly.
>
> To my best knowledge there is no "official" fsck tool for nilfs2 but at times nilfs2 has just been added to the mainline kernel I read somewhere about some "unofficial" version at some developer branch.

I send you personally archive with actual state of fsck.nilfs2. I need in debug output of the fsck.nilfs2 for analysis of situation on the volume.

> Anyway, is there any chance to debug the problem and probably cure the volume?

I hope that we can recover your volume. But, anyway, we need to analyze the issue and try to cure the volume.

With the best regards,
Vyacheslav Dubeyko.