Corrupted nilfs2 volume

Hello!

First of all, thank you for the nilfs2.

I have been using this filesystem for few years on different types of storage ranging from small SSDs to huge 10+TB volumes on big arrays with no a single problem but now I am stuck with a broken volume.

The long story short. I have a laptop which runs vanilla linux-3.8.2 with nilfs on root partition (and nilfs-utils-2.1.4, if that matters; the volume has been created with 2.0.*-series of nilfs-utils with default options). Yesterday I noticed it doesn't switch its display off (probably because of some failed io) and continously displays a screensaver but I didn't touch it. Today I touched it to see that it deadly hung. I had to power cycle the laptop and since then the kernel cannot mount rootfs with:

NILFS: Invalid checkpoint (checkpoint number=5439464)
NILFS: error loading last checkpoint (checkpoint number=5439464)

I booted from a USB flash and inspected S.M.A.R.T attributes of the HDD. It looks absolutely healthy.

Of remarkable events, couple of months ago I have managed to make the / partition full. My distro has made a change in its initscripts (or maybe udev rules, I don't remember exactly) which led to /dev/root symlink no more created. With no /dev/root, nilfs_cleanerd didn't start, this lead to the full root partition and at the end /etc/mtab could no more be created early at boot. I rebooted with init=/bin/bash, remounted / read-write, started nilfs_cleanerd manually, waited until it cleans space and manually fixed the problem with /dev/root. After that I used my laptop for about two months, absolutely flawlessly.

To my best knowledge there is no "official" fsck tool for nilfs2 but at times nilfs2 has just been added to the mainline kernel I read somewhere about some "unofficial" version at some developer branch.

Anyway, is there any chance to debug the problem and probably cure the volume?
I would be happy to provide any additional information.

Thanks in advance.
Alexander