Re: Which version of nilfs do you use?

Hi Elmer,

On Thursday 27 of December 2012 17:47:34 you wrote:
> I am trying to use NILFS2 to make MySQL cold backup, but  the MySQL tables
> often be crashed. It seems there is some problems with nilfs filesystem.
>
> I have described how I use nilfs in this mail:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-nilfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg01481.html
>
> Can I know which version of nilfs do you use, and what do you use nilfs for?

FWIW,  I have MySQL installation on NILFS2 and it works just fine. The server
is only under light load, thou. MySQL version 5.5.27 (and 5.1.50 earlier on);
NILFS2 from kernel v3.0 and later, up to v3.5.

Perhaps your problems have something to do with MySQL recovery of data from
the cold backup? In MySQL Reference Manual chapter 7 -- Backup and Recovery
covers the subject.

If I'm reading your other email correctly, it seems you copied MyISAM files
without shutting MySQL down first. That's not supposed to be done with non-
transactional tables, AFAIK, and I'd suspect this as the main trouble source.

On the other hand, InnoDB tables should survive being copied from working
MySQL, as long as you observe correct order of (table, log files) copying --
not sure which goes first, it's in the docs.

Cheers,
--
dexen deVries

Reality is just a convenient measure of complexity.
                -- Alvy Ray Smith