Re: nilfs2 not garbage collecting

On Thu, Aug 09, 2012 at 01:17:30PM +0200, dexen deVries wrote:
> On Thursday 09 of August 2012 12:33:09 you wrote:
> > I'm having some issues at uploading the compressed image (it's "just"
> > 2.3GB, but with my current connection it would take days, I'll upload
> > it on september).
> >
> > Meanwhile nilfs_cleanerd managed to free some more space (over 1GB),
> > although nothing has changed since yesterday, thus everything seems
> > back to normality.
> > Thanks for the help and see you in september!
>

> when i'm in a pinch and want cleanerd to free up some space, i run:
> # while true; do killall -HUP nilfs_cleanerd; sleep 4; done
>
> each `HUP' signal causes cleanerd to both re-read config and run single pass.
>
> i then monitor progress with
> # iostat -dk 1 /dev/sda
>
> to see if it is moving data around. if not, i lower `protection_period' in
> /etc/nilfs_cleanerd.conf; I usually have it set to 7 to 14 days on personal
> computers, but when /really/ in a squeeze for free space, i lower it to 24h.
>
> you may also want to increase `nsegments_per_clean' in nilfs_cleanerd.conf to
> 3 (but not much more; each segment causes up to 8MB of read and write upon
> each cleanerd pass).

Note, you can do all of this using the nilfs-clean command, which will instruct
nilfs_cleanerd to do one pass of cleaning. I mostly use:

 nilfs-clean -p <prot>		# Override the protection period in nilfs_cleanerd.conf

I also found the following useful when examining checkpoint usage:

 lscp | grep -C2 ad

The grep captures the active segments at the head of the log, and provides
2 lines of context either side.

Christian