Re: nilfs2 not garbage collecting

On Thursday 09 of August 2012 12:33:09 you wrote:
> I'm having some issues at uploading the compressed image (it's "just"
> 2.3GB, but with my current connection it would take days, I'll upload
> it on september).
>
> Meanwhile nilfs_cleanerd managed to free some more space (over 1GB),
> although nothing has changed since yesterday, thus everything seems
> back to normality.
> Thanks for the help and see you in september!

when i'm in a pinch and want cleanerd to free up some space, i run:
# while true; do killall -HUP nilfs_cleanerd; sleep 4; done

each `HUP' signal causes cleanerd to both re-read config and run single pass.

i then monitor progress with
# iostat -dk 1 /dev/sda

to see if it is moving data around. if not, i lower `protection_period' in
/etc/nilfs_cleanerd.conf; I usually have it set to 7 to 14 days on personal
computers, but when /really/ in a squeeze for free space, i lower it to 24h.

you may also want to increase `nsegments_per_clean' in nilfs_cleanerd.conf to
3 (but not much more; each segment causes up to 8MB of read and write upon
each cleanerd pass).

cheers,
--
dexen deVries