Re: nilfs2 weird issue - snapshots are gone, cleanerd not running

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 01:40:49AM +0900, Ryusuke Konishi wrote:
> I don't know, that is not a matter of NILFS.
> NILFS does not replace the root device with /dev/root.
>
> NILFS library just tries to find a mount instance by comparing
> canonical path names of the given device node and that in
> /proc/mounts.  Symbolic links are followed in this canonicalization.

That's why I asked. I suppose it is checking if the given partition is
mounted, right?

> The difference was simply that /dev/disk/by-uuid/uuid was a proper
> symlink to the real device and /dev/root was not in your one machine
> for some reason.

I checked udev in the first place. udev-182-r3 (from Gentoo portage
tree) with udev-init-scripts-10 creates /dev/root. udev-186 with
udev-init-scripts-12 doesn't. There are some bugs about missing
/dev/root on Gentoo's Bugzilla (grub2 related).

> > Also, maybe there's a reason to remove /dev/root? I will try later with
> > some older udev to see if it is created.
>
> In my nilfs-rooted machine, the root device node appears as /dev/sda?
> in /proc/mounts, not /dev/root.  I don't know what makes this
> difference.

All (at least those checked) my Gentoo Linux boxes have /dev/root in
/proc/mounts, but I don't know if this is Gentoo specific. I think some
mentioned above bug pointed to similar "missing /dev/root" bug in
Debian.

Piotr Szymaniak.
--
Mają tam rożki, barwione wody sodowe, batoniki, posypki, orzeszki, piwo
słodowe, koktajle i taki kretyński, pańciowaty, kurewski dzwonek, który