Re: nilfs2 weird issue - snapshots are gone, cleanerd not running

Hi,
On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 16:07:11 +0200, Piotr Szymaniak wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 08:09:37PM +0900, Ryusuke Konishi wrote:
> > On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 14:38:55 +0400, Vyacheslav Dubeyko wrote:
> > > I think after analysis of strace output that Piotr Szymaniak has the
> > > same problem. But maybe I wrong.
> >
> > According to the log, his problem looks different.
> >
> > cleanerd fails with ENOENT error (No such file or directory)
> > if it couldn't find the given device in /proc/mounts.
> >
> > His /proc/mounts looks:
> >
> > rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
> > /dev/root / nilfs2 rw 0 0
> > ..
> >
> > And, the strace log shows that /dev/root didn't exist.
> >
> > I guess the problem would be fixed if a proper symbolic link pointing
> > to the real device is created as /dev/root.
>
> Yes, it seems so. Just after I wrote my amateur strace analysis I tried
> to fix it by hand. Made a symlink from /dev/root to /dev/sda2 and
> remounted /. nilfs_cleanerd started fine.
>
> But why is it failing on /dev/root anyway? It's started with
> /dev/disk/by-uuid/uuid pointing to a proper device (sda2). Do we really
> need /dev/root?

I don't know, that is not a matter of NILFS.
NILFS does not replace the root device with /dev/root.

NILFS library just tries to find a mount instance by comparing
canonical path names of the given device node and that in
/proc/mounts.  Symbolic links are followed in this canonicalization.

The difference was simply that /dev/disk/by-uuid/uuid was a proper
symlink to the real device and /dev/root was not in your one machine
for some reason.

> Also, maybe there's a reason to remove /dev/root? I will try later with
> some older udev to see if it is created.

In my nilfs-rooted machine, the root device node appears as /dev/sda?
in /proc/mounts, not /dev/root.  I don't know what makes this
difference.

Regards,
Ryusuke Konishi