Nilfs2 and Grub2

Hi list,

I have done some observations with the combination
grub2 and nilfs2 on the boot partition. It would
be valuable to know if anyone else has done similar
observations or if this is a {,/un}known problem.

After some harsh handling the system is rebooted
and grub2 hangs during stage 1.5-2. Once grub2 has
encountered this problem it is consistent. It will
hang on every consecutive boot.

However, if the filesystem (on a CF) is mounted by
another system there are no problems reported.
Furthermore, once the filesystem has been mounted
by another system grub2 has no problems booting it
again afterwards. There is no need to do anything
else with the fs than mounting it by another system
and then umount it again.
My preliminary analysis is:
 * Nilfs2 is left in a disturbed state, due to some
   rough handling (still unknown in detail).
 * A normal mount has no problem to recover the fs
   in such case.
 * Grub2 lacks some of the recovery features
   performed during a normal mount and will have
   problem reading files on the fs.

Currently I do not have a more exact description of
the problem. I still have to figure out exactly what
handling that triggers this state for the fs.

This is an embedded project and a previous version

is running grub legacy and ext2 without any signs of
similar problems. Grub legacy has never failed, even
with a (partly) corrupt ext2.

My own knowledge in the nilfs2/grub2 internals is
limited and it is hard to troubleshoot since I
have no recipe reproduction. However, I have observed
it on several occasions on our test systems. I am on
a tight schedule, but when time permits, I will try
to find a way to reproduce this.

Have anyone experienced similar behavior?

Brgds
/Sven