Re: Recommended partition scheme for nilfs2

On Wed, 6 Jul 2011 06:29:53 -0600, "LinuxBSDos.com" wrote:

> Thank you.
>
> With regards to /home, will there be a negative impact on the way nilfs2
> works if /home is on a separate partition?

Usually this is a good usage.

Possible demerits are:

 * We have to mount and access snapshots separately per partition.

 * Checkpoint numbers increase differently if we use two or more nilfs
   partitions.  This makes it a bit troublesome to choose consistent
   snapshots for multiple nilfs2 partitions.

 * User needs to specify a device argument for lscp and other snapshot
   commands for multiple nilfs2 partitions.

   The current nilfs utilities does not provide the way to specify a
   target partition with a directory argument.

 * GC daemons run and reside for each nilfs2 partition, and this may
   require more memory and cpu time.  Usually this is not an issue
   because GC daemons will sleep while having enough free space.

As long as applying nilfs2 only to /home, I think there is no
mentionable demerit except the system is not protected with the
automatic checkpoints/snapshots.

> On Ubuntu and nilfs2, Ubuntu's installer does not have nilfs2 as a file
> system option, how did you install Natty N. on nilfs2?

I cannot remember how I built the current natty environment, but
usually I do that manually with debootstrap program.  The following is
a copy of my memorandum showing a rough scheme:

 1) Make a bootable usb pendrive.

 2) Install nilfs-utils and debootstrap in it.

 3) Boot from the usb memory and format the main drive with nilfs2:

   # mkfs -t nilfs2 /dev/sda8

 4) Mount it and run debootstrap.

   # mount -t nilfs2 /dev/sda8 /nilfs
   # debootstrap --arch amd64 natty /nilfs/ http://xxx.xxx.xx.xx/xxxxx/ubuntu/

 5) Edit /nilfs/etc/fstab.

 6) Edit or copy /etc/hosts.

 7) Copy /home as needed.

   # rsync -ax /home/ /nilfs/home/

 8) Do chroot

   # chroot /nilfs /bin/bash
   # mount -t proc none /proc
   # mount -t sysfs none /sys
   # mount /dev/sda8 /boot  (if using a separate boot partition)

 9) Set root password

   # passwd

 10) Make an acount

   # groupadd -g 1000 <my-user-name>
   # useradd -g <my-user-name> -u 1000 -c "My Name" -s /bin/bash <my-user-name>
   # passwd <my-user-name>

 11) Edit /nilfs/etc/apt/sources.list

 12) Set timezone

   # dpkg-reconfigure tzdata

 13) Install packages

   # apt-get update
   # apt-get install rsync ssh openssh-server sudo gcc make git-core
     automake autoconf aptitude ...

 14) Build and install nilfs-utils

 15) Manually build and install util-linux-ng which supports nilfs2.
     This is required to mount nilfs2 partitions by a UUID or a LABEL.

 16) Install and setup grub2, and run update-grub program

 17) Reboot

 18) Install desktop environment

I think this needs trial and error for natty since this memorandum was
originally made for Debian.

Regards,
Ryusuke Konishi